Haus Bruno LambartBack to Projects list
- Nidus GmbH | Nidus Studio GmbH
In the middle-class Dusseldorf Zoo district, the architect Bruno Lambart (1924-2014) 1955 realised an unpretentious four-storey residential building for himself and his family. It also accommodated Lambart’s first architect’s office that he ran at the time in partnership with his student friend, Günter Behnisch (1922-2010). For Lambart, the building became the foundation for a notable career, above all as an architect for open-plan structures. Numerous schools, town halls, civic centres, administration buildings and hospitals throughout the Rheinland region are to his credit. This Dusseldorf edifice, on the other hand, would remain his only private residential building.
After his death, the Nidus Studio Architecture And Property Development Office took over the building from the architect’s family. From the very beginning it was a project that was close to the heart of Ana Vollenbroich and Annelen Schmidt-Vollenbroich, where the Haus Bruno Lambart was to become the new home for the founders of the Nidus firm. Today they live on the garden floor, which is not visible from the street, and the ground floor. To do this, both levels have been linked together through a new internal staircase. Four additional contemporary residential units were developed in the storeys above this and in the converted loft. Within the modernisation process, it was important for Vollenbroich and Schmidt-Vollenbroich to keep the style-defining elements of Lambart’s post-war architecture. So the striking street façade with its extensive glazing and narrow balconies extending across the whole width of the building were kept, as was the interior spiral staircase that was so typical for its time. Even the ground plan structure of the building, which was already way ahead of its time, could be taken over with just a few interventions to make it fit for today’s requirements.
This extension was again carried out as a re-interpretation of its existing 1950s architecture. The living areas are defined by high-quality materials. Its design is simple and functional. To fit in with this, light switches in the dark version of the elegant 1912 LS range were installed. They are finished in aluminium and lacquered in a fine, dark brown tone. Their cylindrical rocker switches are designed as push buttons with a dimming function that constantly remains in a central position – this makes a significant contribution to a calm overall appearance in a multiple-switch combination. To match the LS 1912 light switches, sockets and temperature sensors were also chosen in their dark version from the sister LS 990 range. This gives us a town house that reflects its history right down to the last detail, yet dares to take a leap into the present era.